Official vs. Unofficial Transcript

Understanding transcripts

Transcripts is a word you will hear very often in higher education. Official transcripts are required for students to be degree-seeking students, to receive financial aid, to be eligible to participate in athletics, and to transfer any prior college credit. Unofficial or official transcripts can be used for admission and enrollment only.

What are UNOFFICIAL and OFFICIAL transcripts?

  • Unofficial transcripts can be used for admissions and enrollment purposes.  They CANNOT be used for financial aid, eligibility, or to transfer previous credit.
  • Unofficial transcripts can be emailed, hand-delivered, mailed, faxed, uploaded to an application dashboard, or whatever is the easiest way to send a transcript
  • Unofficial transcripts can be sent while you are currently in high school or currently enrolled in credit classes at another college (In-progress course work).
  • Official transcripts are required to receive financial aid, to be degree-seeking, to transfer any previous credit, and for eligibility
  • Official transcripts CANNOT be emailed, faxed, or hand-delivered
  • Official transcripts must be sent via mail or using an electronic transcript delivery service directly to Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Dr., Garden City, KS 67846.
  • High School Official Transcripts
    • Must have cumulative GPA
    • Must have graduation date
    • Must be signed
  • College Official Transcripts
    • Must have all completed course-work (course work in-progress will be considered unofficial)
    • Must have cumulative GPA
    • Must be signed

For any questions regarding your transcripts or if they have been received, please contact the Admissions office at or 620-276-9662.