ART Scholarships at GCCC
Creative expression is treasured at Garden City Community College. Whether yours is
a love of drawing and painting or ceramics and sculpture, there are many opportunities
for your future as a creative in the Art Department at GCCC. Numerous tuition and
book scholarships are awarded each semester to full-time GCCC students (12 credit
hours a semester minimum) who wish to pursue a career as a visual artist o explore
their interests and expand their knowledge in visual arts. These scholarships fall
into two categories, Art Majors Scholarships and Art Activities Scholarships. The
Art Majors Scholarship is for students wishing to pursue a career in the visual arts.
In contrast, the Art Activities Scholarship is for students wanting to participate.
Perhaps you are looking to add a Minor, study Architecture, or a related design field
and are interested in participating in the visual arts community while you are here.
Majors that we serve fully
We offer Freshman and sophomore level foundations courses that transfer to many different universities, institutions, and colleges. Please check with your advisor and your transfer school to see what works for you.
Achitecture (often 9-12 hours required in the vistual arts. Check with your transfer institutions for more information
Engineering (for a minor in art, limited courses)
ART Majors Scholarships
These scholarships are for students wishing to major in the Visual Arts such as drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, printmaking, or art history, or for students in an arts-related field including but not limited to art education, design, interior design, graphic design, industrial design, illustration, animation, photography, art therapy, Architecture (often 9-12 hours required in the visual arts. Check with your transfer institutions for more information) and Engineering (for a minor in art, limited courses)
The Art Majors Scholarships are competitive and renewed each semester depending on overall GPA, academic standing, and GCCC Art Club involvement. This scholarship funding depends on the availability and student accomplishments; amounts range from $1000 a year to full tuition. Eligibility is based on a portfolio (10 images) containing previous works of art evaluated by GCCC faculty. Also, we require a brief letter of support (email is acceptable) from your High School art instructor indicating your abilities in art and supporting you as an upstanding student in our program.
- Awardees must maintain a 2.0 overall GPA, 2.5 in Art,
- Awardees must enroll in 2 studio art courses per semester while at GCCC (This will fill the electives category on your AA degree check sheet.)
- Awardees must participate in Art Club.
- Awardees who want consideration for full funding must enroll as a Fine Art major with an AA
Here are some enrollment guidelines for ART Majors Scholarships:
- Take two studio art courses; we think it's best to take one class from each instructor.
- Enroll in Drawing, Design, 3d Design first. If those don't fit your schedule - we can discuss other possibilities.
- Avoid taking Art Appreciation, this is a recommendation because History of Art is a much better choice for art majors.
- Enroll in 15 hours: this isn't necessary, but it builds flexibility if you need to drop a course.
- List Michael Knutson or Brian McCallum as your advisor, and AA as your degree.
- Look for signs and information about Art Club.
ART Activities Scholarships.
Art Activities Scholarships are for students wishing to take one or more studio art courses while pursuing other studies at GCCC. And are excited to participate in our Arts Club and other community outreach opportunities. This competitive scholarship can be renewed for up to 4 semesters. The funding for this scholarship may vary greatly.
Activity course credits may not count towards your degree requirements for your associate degree. Every effort will be made to ensure financial aid will apply but cannot be guaranteed. GCCC tuition is very affordable compared to regional universities.
- Awardees must maintain a 2.0 overall GPA,
- Awardees must enroll in 1 studio art courses per semester while at GCCC.
- Awardees must participate in Art Club.
- Awardees must enroll with their advisor.
Here are some enrollment guidelines for ART Activities Scholarships:
- Enroll in 1 studio art course; this does not include Art Appreciation or Art History.
- Look for signs and information about Art Club